- Protect Confidentiality: Everything shared in the group should stay in the group.
- Remember that everyone in this group is a peer who is here to share something important to them.
- Use "I" statements in sharing, rather than using generalization or speaking for someone else.
- Listen to others with an open heart and quiet mind. We are not here to judge or evaluate the experiences of others, but to receive their sharing empathetically.
- Refrain from interrupting or using deflection when intense feelings are being shared.
- It is OK if you don’t feel like sharing and just want to listen.
- If you want to reflect on what someone has shared, do so respectfully and from you own personal experience.
- Do not evaluate or give advice to anyone about a mental health or medical treatment program.
- If you feel a need to leave the group for some reason, please let the hose know by chat.
- Group members may stay in touch after the meeting, only by mutual consent.
Copyright © 2000 Volunteers of America