Principles of Support
1. We will see the individual first, not the illness.
2. We recognize that mental illnesses are medical
illnesses that may have environmental triggers.
3. We understand that mental illnesses are traumatic
4. We aim for better coping skills.
5. We find strength in sharing experiences.
6. We reject stigma and do not tolerate
7. We won’t judge anyone’s pain as less than our
8. We forgive ourselves and reject guilt.
9. We embrace humor as healthy.
10. We accept we cannot solve all problems.
11. We expect a better future in a realistic way.
12. We will never give up hope
Copyright © 2018, NAMI Minnesota