Frequently Asked Questions
What is Narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy is an incurable, neurological sleep disorder where the brain is unable to regulate typical sleep-wake cycles. The five major symptoms associated with narcolepsy are:
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS): The inability to stay awake and alert during the day;
- Cataplexy: A sudden, brief loss of muscle tone caused by experiencing strong emotions;
- Sleep Disruption: The breaking up of sleep by many awakenings. Poor-quality sleep at night: falling asleep easily, but having trouble staying asleep;
- Sleep Paralysis: A brief inability to move or speak while falling asleep or waking up; and
- Hypnagogic Hallucinations: Vivid dream-like events that occur while falling asleep or waking up. They can be experienced as multisensory hallucinations.
How do I determine which support group I need?
First identify your role. Do you have narcolepsy or are you supporting a loved one with narcolepsy? Next, identify your specific areas of need. Are you newly diagnosed? Are you transitioning into adulthood? Are you a caregiver for a child with narcolepsy? Then read the group descriptions and choose a group that you feel will provide the most benefit.
Who leads the support groups?
Support groups are led by an expert facilitator and a moderator who either have narcolepsy or are a caregiver for someone with narcolepsy.
How long are the support group meetings?
All support groups run 60-90 minutes in length.
How often do groups meet?
Targeted support groups meet one-time bi-weekly for six to eight sessions.
How much do the groups cost?
This is a free support to the narcolepsy community. WUN did not want accessing our programs to be a financial hardship on the community. With that being said, we are a nonprofit and it does take money and resources to make these programs possible. If you are interested and able, we would be grateful for your donation. Learn about all the ways you can contribute at https://www.wakeupnarcolepsy.org/get-involved/donate-now
Here's how to reach us:
Wake Up Narcolepsy
PO Box 60293
Worcester MA 01606
978-751-DOZE (3693) Email Website
Copyright © 2019, Wake Up Narcolepsy